Friday 25 January 2013

How to do baking...with Billy

I have a wonderful old Children's Baking Book which was bought for me as a 7 year old (ahem...yes a few years ago now). I still use it for making some of my small cakes. As the weather was too bad for everyone to get here last weekend I decided that I would bake some small cakes rather than 1 large one for my Hb's birthday.
As you can see it has been very well used. I just love this retro cover.






Inside it has very cute 1968 instructions and illustrations. I love the way it tells you to remember to sweep any crumbs from the floor when you tidy away! Very Brownie Guide ;0)
















There are lots useful recipes and my most used recipe is for the small iced cakes. I know I probably remember it but I just love getting out my childhood baking book as I have fond memories of cake making many years ago.










So I made up the recipe for the small iced cakes with Billy checking that I had added all the right ingredients.







I spooned the mixture into their cases and then popped them in the oven to cook.














Billy checked that they were cooking by peering through the oven door. There is nothing like having someone checking up on you is there?







I had not been able to get to the shop to buy some fondant icing due to the snow so I decided that instead of making a plaque I would make a little snowy scene. I "made" a tiered cake stand by putting one on my cups upside down and standing a second small plate on top. I made some more of my fab chocolate "buttons" which caused a stir a Christmas. Would you like to see the end result.....
Yes I know the birthday plaque is pink but again it was the only one I had in the house. Needs must. You can see the cup underneath supporting the the top "tier". It was all a bit Heath Robinson but it went down really well.
These little snow people I have had for years when the children were young and the snowy post box I bought this year to put on the chocolate yule log. Now all this time we wondered what Billy would think about the end result...
Well he sat himself up at the dining room table all ready for the food to be served and gave me a purr that he approved. We even used the Christmas candle again and if you looked outside there was a good reason why..

Yes, lots of the white stuff. It really was a winter wonderland. Brrrr....

My challenge card today is this cutie. My vintage baking book inspired me to make a card with a vintage feel to it. I think this feels circa 1960s with all the gingham ribbon and swirls.
Don't you just love this gorgeous stamp? It is one from the Wild Rose Studio called Bella Sleeping. It is one of my new "treats" and I had not inked it up before. I coloured it with my Promarkers.The backing papers are Nitwit plus a download by Sheryl's designs. The die cut is the fab new bow from Memory Box. I have used my Spellbinder floral ovals to frame the image and the sentiment. All the bling extras were winnings from the lovely Tracy of Dies to Die For, including those sweet charms. I used a rather different pink/grey/yellow colour combo and I was pleased the way it came together. Just a little update with my cards; do you remember my recent tea pot card...well is was one of the cards featured in the "Fabulous Friday Selection" on the new Tiddly Ink Stamp Challenge post today ;0) I am wearing a new badge in my sidebar with pride. Thanks Tiddly Inks.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Papertake Weekly Tie up your lose ends
Inky Chicks #2 Bingo Ribbon, sentiment, flower
Bearly Mine Tick, tack, tock I am using the line;Lots of embellies, stamped image, ribbon, the colour pink
Penny Black and More Love is in the air
Crafty Ribbons Love/Romance
My Mum's Craft Shop  anything goes
Bunny Zoe's Crafts anything goes
Emma's Cards Animals #12
A+T Emerald Faeries Celebration #39
Paper Shelter anything goes #96
I Love Promarkers  anything goes #152
Divas By Design fairy tales My Fairy tale is Disney's Dumbo
Whimsy Stamps Fancy edges #55
Crafty Catz cute as a button #167
Jelly Park Challenges button up
Winter Wonderland It takes 2 I hope this counts, there are 2 elephants here, Bella and her Mummy!

The snow is finally clearing away today and now we are forecast some rainy weather. Spring certainly seems a long way off at the moment. I so miss being out in my studio in the garden; the blinds are down and there is no one at home. I have a couple of card commissions I plan to work on at the weekend and on Sunday we are seeing our daughter and SIL and my parents as they missed my Hb's party last Sunday. I hope you enjoy your weekend whether you are taking it easy or have some plans made.

Thanks as always for your visits and the kind comments you take the time to leave me. Roll on Spring!

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x


32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cakes Jane, they look sooooo good.
    Love your card too, such a sweet image and fab layout.
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that someone is keeping an eye on you in the kitchen Jane!! ;)
    I think M's cake looks great, in fact personally I think I would prefer that to a 'cake' cake!
    Love the image on your card, ever so cute. :)
    Wild, wet and windy here today but 7 degrees C, so it's probably on it's way to you!
    Have a great weekend,
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jane, I had to laugh out loud when I saw Billy checking out the oven and your baking. Great photos! Those look like some yummy cakes and the book is just priceless. Happy Birthday to your Hb!!!
    Love love the card, the motif is adorable!
    Stay warm and happy weekend to you, xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jane. I really enjoyed reading your post. How lovely of you to still have a keepsake cookbook with you. Your cakes look fabulously yummy and Billy is such a curious cutie. Not to mention that lovely card and precious stamp. I love it!
    Hugz,
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading your post today! I'm thinking we must be VERY close to the same age, (without giving anything away!)
    Your cakes are absolutely wonderful. So creative and such a good little helper Billy is. It's great that you still have your childhood cookbook.

    Thank you for letting me visit. We're having freezing rain on top of our snow. Brrr.
    Blessings,
    Betsy
    Http://www.betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane, and *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your HB! Billy is such a good assistant, isn't he? What I wouldn't give for one of those cupcakes right now. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! Your book looks wonderful and reminds me my cooking book! Well done Billy - to help in the kitchen! You are such a sweet boy!
    Your snow looks beautiful but the studio very lonely. I hope you can open it soon!
    Lovely card again and so cute little details!
    Have a great weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. always love your photo's and the brief snippet into your life, and I say again, wow love how you have used this wonderful image looks great and that sweet nappie pin too, thank you for joining us at the Winter Wonderland "It Takes Two" challenge this week
    Hugs Kate xx
    WRS DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Billy is such a helpful chap! The cakes look scrummy, and I love the look of your cook book - the pictures remind me of Holly Hobby (showing my age).

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Jane, pass a cake please, they look so yummy, LOL...fabulous winter photos and you cat is gorgeous...now the Card, WOW, WOW, WOW, 2 off my favourite things Elephants and Gingham, yummy, thank you so much for joining in with us at Emma's Crafty Challenge this month, good luck xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A super creation for our 'Love is in the Air' theme Jane.

    Thanks so much to sharing with us at Penny Black and More challenge this month.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a classic cookbook!! I love the array of cupcakes and decorations. I agree with Vivienne, sometimes little cakes are just as fun.

    Sweet baby card....there will be a new member of our family in August. Here's to all things baby!

    Happy weekend, Jane

    Anne

    PlumCreek

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy cakes and lovely card thanks for joining us at crafty Catz this week

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww such a cute image and lovely choice of charms - thanks for sharing with us at Whimsy stamps
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a sweet card, and an adorable image. Thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge. Good Luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your kitchen-helper, Jane! He's simply adorable boy, and it's not just baking he's assisting, am I right? When we had our cat, he was participating EVERYTHING, just like Billy!

    And those button-treats look so yummy, and that baby-elephant card is the prettiest! Lovely!

    Happy Saturday and kisses to your sweet-assistant!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pink and grey colour combination. Love the image and all the bling too.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely card with us at Penny Black and More and we hope you will join us in February.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  19. the cake is very creative and i love the cup and big chocolate buttons. your card is very sweet and it fits perfectly with your vintage cookbook and our challenge. thank you so much for sharing another lovely creation with us at penny black and more.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a gorgeous card Jane. I love this super cute image. Thank you for joining us at Winter Wonderland.
    Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jane! Love your cookbook and I know a little man who would too! My youngest loves baking and makes a mean Victoria sponge and lemon drizzle cake! Your cupcakes turned out fab and I adore your chocolate buttons. (Nice to see Billy keeping watch over proceedings!) I too made my own cake stand from some charity shop finds - a couple of decorated glass plates, a glass candlestick and some glass glue and I had the most lovely cake stand which now sits on my cupboard in the bedroom with all my perfumes and sprays on! Much less fattening than cakes, but it does get brought down for high days and holidays!
    Love your sweet elephant card and spots and gingham, 2 of my favourite patterns! Fab colouring, pretty embellishments and great colour combo. Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL Love your little kitty so sweet watching you cook!

    Great cakes they look so nommy & your card love it, great image & yeah like the vintagy feel you have created!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Emerald Faeries, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good afternoon Jane!...Oh yes, that's a very precious little book you have there, isn't it? Connected with so many lovely childhood memories. Your cakes look fabulous (I'm sure they made Hb's day!) and the chocolate 'buttons' look lovely indeed..the work of a true chocolatier...I'm very impressed!
    I love how Billy always keeps a close watch over everything too...I often thought about Billy and other lovely kitties in Blogland when I was making my blanket...they are all such characters....
    Gorgeous new card design!
    Hope you have a wonderful new week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  24. MMmmmmmm.... I like the way you stacked them up with the cup between. I'll try to remember to do that sometime. I also really love your old cook book. I wish I still had mine from when I was a kid. Keep baking and keep making cards. You're making the world a bit brighter every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab cakes Jane & a gorgeous card, You cat looks so much like my old Chester.
    I store my punches on Ikea kitchen tool rails and hopefully going to have one with all my dies hanging on it in cd sleeves.
    HUGZ Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a pretty card you have made. It fits the Bearly Mine Challenge this week well. Thank you for taking part and best wishes in the draw. What a beautiful cat by the way. Kym (Bearly Mine Challenge Blog Design Team)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum!! I shouldn't be reading your post at 8:30 at night. Your birthday "cake" looks scrumptious! I guess I'll just have to make do with a cup of tea.

    Everything looks pretty with the snow on it--thanks for sharing the sights of London!

    Jane T

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such adorable looking card. Very sweet! Thanks for playing with us over at the Paper Shelter this week.
    Love n hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful card and such a pretty stamp. The cakes look yummy and lovely pictures as always.
    Thank you for joining in the 'Love is in The Air' challenge over at Penny Black & More @ Allsorts and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulously cute card - suh a lovely vintage look thank you so much for playing at Whimsy Stamps challenge hugs Judith x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your book and cakes look lovely Jane, I do especially like the buttons - yummy! Beth (thelinencat)xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at CraftyCatz. Kim x PS and the cakes look scrummy too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x